The world that I live in is primarily occupied by men.... it would be nice if they were men who wore power suits like Gabriel Macht and Patrick J. Adams. In case you haven't figure it out yet, I love that AMC series, Suits. Maybe suits from the The Men's Warehouse, need to comes with a little tag that says, "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary".
Well, I have news, I do not live in a world high powered attorneys and stock brokers. My crowd were proud chess champions in middle school, math wizards in high school, robotics champions in college, and wanna be chemistry brewers in their basements (maybe). There are guys who do NOT dress to impress. But blindfolded, they can spot the mistake in your algorithm while sipping coffee. Actually..... the crowd that I work with is rather normal and dress much like most midwesterners do.
As for me, I do try to maintain a certain fashionable yet utilitarian appearance while at the office. These are clothes that translate well from suitcase to boardroom in many different countries. Here are some simple tips on how to achieve the look:
1. Basic Colors - I usually do not have more than 2 colors
2. Avoid patterns - something that looks good in North America may not look fashionably in South Korea
3. A plain colored dress can be spruced up with a colored scarf
4. Carefully chosen conservative floral dresses work too especially if you want to skip the accessories.
5. Invest in good shoes. Forget the heels on long treks through airports. Opt for ballet flats or booties in the winter
6. Silk does not travel well. Neither does dry cleaning or 100% cotton. Wool does surprisingly well because it doesn't wrinkle and it regulates your body temperature.
7. I love, love dresses because it is a 1 piece solution - you do not have to match a top to a bottom. Everything is right there. A nice fit and flare design sways as you moves... lovely!
8. Skirts always make you look feminine. And they can be exceedingly comfortable in all types of weather, even the sub zero kind.
9. Underneath everything is good moisture wicking under shirts, tights, underwear. Uniqlo has Heattech for the summer & Airism for the summer.
10. Forget pantsuits. No one on Suits ever wears pants except the losing attorney -- there is a good reason for that. Pantsuits do not flatter (and I know many of you may disagree). Go ahead, do an unscientific survey of the women at work (real life women, not one on TV), compare and contrast pants vs skirts. Which one drew your eye? Pantsuits tell the world that you are in competition with the men. Why be in competition in someone else's ball court when you have your own strengths? Realize that your court is in the ballroom.
Ladies, the idea is to look feminine, be feminine and be proud of your God given gentle appearance.
Lastly Lipstick. I wear only one kind - Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick in Premier Plum. Yes, it does last all day.
The real deal about what it’s like to be a working mom. I often hear the following phrase, “I don’t know how you manage it all.“ The reality is, I don’t even know. Deep down inside, I’m wondering the same thing about them. I have two kids, a wonderful husband, a normal suburban life. I’ve always been achievement oriented and simply love to tackle things that sometimes make other peoples eyes glaze over… in boredom. I’m a researcher and my view on the technical stuff is that nothing is difficult, merely complex.
Flat Stanley at the Changing of the Guards.